Meaning of CONGRESS in English
n. /kong"gris/ ; v. /keuhn gres", keuhng-/ , n.
1. ( cap. )
a. the national legislative body of the U.S., consisting of the Senate, or upper house, and the House of Representatives, or lower house, as a continuous institution.
b. this body as it exists for a period of two years during which it has the same membership: the 96th Congress.
c. a session of this body: to speak in Congress.
2. the national legislative body of a nation, esp. of a republic.
3. a formal meeting or assembly of representatives for the discussion, arrangement, or promotion of some matter of common interest.
4. the act of coming together; an encounter; meeting.
5. an association, esp. one composed of representatives of various organizations.
6. familiar relations; dealings; intercourse.
7. coitus; sexual intercourse.
8. to assemble together; meet in congress.
[ 1350-1400 for earlier sense "body of attendants, following"; 1520-30 for current senses; ME congressus assembly, intercourse, meeting, equiv. to congred ( i ) to approach, meet ( con- CON- + -gredi, comb. form of gradi to step; cf. GRADE) + -tus suffix of v. action ]
Syn. 3. conference, council, convention.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012