Meaning of CONTOUR in English
/kon"toor/ , n.
1. the outline of a figure or body; the edge or line that defines or bounds a shape or object.
2. See contour line .
3. Phonet. a distinctive pattern of changes in pitch, stress, or tone extending across all or part of an utterance, esp. across a sentence, and contributing to meaning.
4. to mark with contour lines.
5. to make or form the contour or outline of.
6. to build (a road, railroad track, etc.) in conformity with the contour of the land.
7. to mold or shape so as to fit a certain configuration: cars with seats that are contoured for comfort.
8. molded or shaped to fit a particular contour or form: contour seats.
9. Agric. of or used in a system of plowing, cultivating, sowing, etc., along the contour lines of the land in order to trap water runoff and prevent erosion.
[ 1655-65; con- CON- + tour a turn (see TOUR), modeled on It contorno, deriv. of contornare to outline; see TURN ]
Syn. 1. configuration, form, boundary.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012