/kood/ ; unstressed /keuhd/ , v.
1. a pt. of can 1 .
2. (used to express possibility): I wonder who that could be at the door. That couldn't be true.
3. (used to express conditional possibility or ability): You could do it if you tried.
4. (used in making polite requests): Could you open the door for me, please?
5. (used in asking for permission): Could I borrow your pen?
6. (used in offering suggestions or advice): You could write and ask for more information. You could at least have called me.
[ ME coude, OE cuthe; modern -l- (from WOULD, SHOULD) first attested 1520-30 ]
Usage . See care .