Meaning of DEFINE in English
— definable , adj. — definability , n. — definably , adv. — definement , n. — definer , n.
/di fuyn"/ , v. defined, defining .
1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define "liberal."
2. to explain or identify the nature or essential qualities of; describe: to define judicial functions.
3. to fix or lay down definitely; specify distinctly: to define one's responsibilities.
4. to determine or fix the boundaries or extent of: to define property with stakes.
5. to make clear the outline or form of: The roof was boldly defined against the sky.
6. to set forth the meaning of a word, phrase, etc.; construct a definition.
[ 1325-75; ME def ( f ) inen definer to put an end to definire to limit, define, equiv. to de- DE- + finire; see FINISH ]
Syn. 3. state, name, describe, detail, enumerate.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012