Meaning of DOWEL in English
/dow"euhl/ , n. , v. , doweled, doweling or ( esp. Brit. ) dowelled, dowelling .
1. Also called dowel pin . Carpentry. a pin, usually round, fitting into holes in two adjacent pieces to prevent their slipping or to align them.
2. a piece of wood driven into a hole drilled in a masonry wall to receive nails, as for fastening woodwork.
3. a round wooden rod of relatively small diameter.
4. Dentistry. a peg, usually of metal, set into the root canal of a natural tooth to give additional support to an artificial crown.
5. to reinforce or furnish with a dowel or dowels.
[ 1300-50; ME dowle dovel plug; cf. G Döbel, Dübel, OHG tubili ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012