Meaning of EXPECTATION in English
— expectational , adj. — expectationist , n.
/ek'spek tay"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act or the state of expecting: to wait in expectation.
2. the act or state of looking forward or anticipating.
3. an expectant mental attitude: a high pitch of expectation.
4. something expected; a thing looked forward to.
5. Often, expectations . a prospect of future good or profit: to have great expectations.
6. the degree of probability that something will occur: There is little expectation that he will come.
7. Statistics. See mathematical expectation .
8. the state of being expected: a large sum of money in expectation.
[ 1530-40; expectation- (s. of expectatio ) an awaiting, equiv. to expectat ( us ) (ptp. of expectare to EXPECT) + -ion- -ION ]
Syn. 2. expectancy, anticipation; hope, trust.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012