Meaning of FIDELITY in English
/fi del"i tee, fuy-/ , n. , pl. fidelities .
1. strict observance of promises, duties, etc.: a servant's fidelity.
2. loyalty: fidelity to one's country.
3. conjugal faithfulness.
4. adherence to fact or detail.
5. accuracy; exactness: The speech was transcribed with great fidelity.
6. Audio. , Video. the degree of accuracy with which sound or images are recorded or reproduced.
[ 1375-1425; late ME fidelite ( fidelitas, equiv. to fideli- (s. of fidelis loyal, equiv. to fide ( s ) FAITH + -lis adj. suffix) + -tas -TY 2 ]
Syn. 2. See loyalty. 5. precision, faithfulness, rigor, meticulousness.
Ant. 2. disloyalty.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012