Meaning of GREASE in English
— greaseless , adj. — greaselessness , n. — greaseproof , adj.
n. /grees/ ; v. /grees, greez/ , n. , v. , greased, greasing .
1. the melted or rendered fat of animals, esp. when in a soft state.
2. fatty or oily matter in general; lubricant.
3. Also called grease wool . wool, as shorn, before being cleansed of the oily matter.
4. Also called grease-heel /grees"heel'/ . Vet. Pathol. inflammation of a horse's skin in the fetlock region, attended with an oily secretion.
5. Informal. a bribe.
6. to put grease on; lubricate: to grease the axle of a car.
7. to smear or cover with grease.
8. to cause to occur easily; smooth the way; facilitate.
9. Informal. to bribe.
10. grease someone's palm . See palm 1 (def. 11).
[ 1250-1300; ME grese, grece, greice grece, gresse, OF craisse (F graisse ) crassia, equiv. to L crass ( us ) fat, thick + -ia n. suffix ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012