/in"poot'/ , n., adj., v., inputted or input, inputting .
1. something that is put in.
2. the act or process of putting in.
3. the power or energy supplied to a machine.
4. the current or voltage applied to an electric or electronic circuit or device. Cf. output (def. 4).
a. data to be entered into a computer for processing.
b. the process of introducing data into the internal storage of a computer.
6. contribution of information, ideas, opinions, or the like: Before making a decision we need your input.
7. the available data for solving a technical problem.
8. Scot. a monetary contribution, as to charity.
9. of or pertaining to data or equipment used for input: The keyboard is my computer's main input device.
10. Computers. to enter (data) into a computer for processing.
11. to contribute (ideas, information, or suggestions) to a project, discussion, etc.
[ 1745-55; IN- 1 + PUT ]