— kernelless , adj. — kernelly , adj.
/kerr"nl/ , n. , v. , kerneled, kerneling or ( esp. Brit. ) kernelled, kernelling .
1. the softer, usually edible part contained in the shell of a nut or the stone of a fruit.
2. the body of a seed within its husk or integuments.
3. a whole seed grain, as of wheat or corn.
4. South Atlantic States. the pit or seed of a peach, cherry, plum, etc.
5. the central or most important part of anything; essence; gist; core: His leadership is the kernel of the organization.
6. Math. the set of elements that a given function from one set to a second set maps into the identity of the second set.
7. Also called rumpf . Physical Chem. the remainder of an atom after the valence electrons have been removed.
8. to enclose as a kernel.
[ bef. 1000; ME kirnel, OE cyrnel, dim. of corn seed, CORN 1 ]