— latticelike , adj.
/lat"is/ , n. , v. , latticed, latticing .
1. a structure of crossed wooden or metal strips usually arranged to form a diagonal pattern of open spaces between the strips.
2. a window, gate, or the like consisting of such a structure.
3. Physics. the structure of fissionable and nonfissionable materials geometrically arranged within a nuclear reactor.
4. Also called Bravais lattice, crystal lattice, space lattice . Crystall. an arrangement in space of isolated points (lattice points) in a regular pattern, showing the positions of atoms, molecules, or ions in the structure of a crystal.
5. Math. a partially ordered set in which every subset containing exactly two elements has a greatest lower bound or intersection and a least upper bound or union.
6. to furnish with a lattice or latticework.
7. to form into or arrange like latticework.
[ 1350-1400; ME latis lattis, deriv. of latte lath ]
Syn. 1. trellis, grille, screen, grid.