/luy"ting/ , n.
1. the act of igniting or illuminating: the lighting of many candles; the annual lighting of the Christmas tree.
2. the arrangement of lights to achieve particular effects: to work out the lighting for one's living room.
3. an effect achieved by the arrangement of lights: Several critics praised the lighting of the play.
4. the science, theory, or method of achieving particular effects by the use of lights.
5. the way light falls upon a face, object, etc., esp. in a picture.
[ bef. 1000; ME lightinge, OE lihting. See LIGHT 1 , -ING 1 ]