Meaning of LONGITUDINAL in English
— longitudinally , adv.
/lon'ji toohd"n l, -tyoohd"-/ , adj.
1. of or pertaining to longitude or length: longitudinal measurement.
2. extending in the direction of the length of a thing; running lengthwise: a thin, longitudinal stripe.
3. Zool. pertaining to or extending along the long axis of the body, or the direction from front to back, or head to tail.
4. pertaining to a research design or survey in which the same subjects are observed repeatedly over a period of time.
5. a longitudinal framing member, as in the hull of a ship.
[ 1535-45; longitudin- (s. of longitudo; see LONGITUDE) + -AL 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012