Meaning of NEGATION in English
— negational , adj. — negationist , n.
/ni gay"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act of denying: He shook his head in negation of the charge.
2. a denial: a negation of one's former beliefs.
3. something that is without existence; nonentity.
4. the absence or opposite of something that is actual, positive, or affirmative: Darkness is the negation of light.
5. a negative statement, idea, concept, doctrine, etc.; a contradiction, refutation, or rebuttal: a shameless lie that demands a negation.
[ 1375-1425; late ME negation- (s. of negatio ) denial. See NEGATE, -ION ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012