Meaning of ORNAMENT in English
— ornamenter , n.
n. /awr"neuh meuhnt/ ; v. /awr"neuh ment', -meuhnt/ , n.
1. an accessory, article, or detail used to beautify the appearance of something to which it is added or of which it is a part: architectural ornaments.
2. a system, category, or style of such objects or features; ornamentation: a book on Gothic ornament.
3. any adornment or means of adornment.
4. a person or thing that adds to the credit or glory of a society, era, etc.
5. the act of adorning.
6. the state of being adorned.
7. mere outward display: a speech more of ornament than of ideas.
8. Chiefly Eccles. any accessory, adjunct, or equipment.
9. Music. a tone or group of tones applied as decoration to a principal melodic tone.
10. to furnish with ornaments; embellish: to ornament a musical composition.
11. to be an ornament to: Several famous scientists were acquired to ornament the university.
[ 1175-1225; ornamentum equipment, ornament, equiv. to orna ( re ) to equip + -mentum -MENT; r. ME ornement ]
Syn. 1. embellishment. 3, 5 . decoration. 10, 11 . decorate, adorn, grace.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012