— presettable , adj.
v. , adj. /pree set"/ ; n. /pree"set'/ , v. , preset, presetting , adj. , n.
1. to set beforehand.
2. to set (an electric or electronic appliance) to become activated at a designated time: We preset the coffeemaker to go on at 6 A.M.
3. to adjust (a connector, switch, or the like) so that when activated it will perform a designated function: The tuning buttons on the radio are preset to my favorite FM stations.
4. set in advance: a preset radio adjusted to receive certain stations.
5. (of the guidance system of a missile or the course of flight it determines) set before launching to reach a specific destination without any alteration in response to signals from the ground.
6. a knob or button that activates a preset appliance: Just push the preset and coffee will be ready when you get up.
7. a similar device on a radio that can be activated to tune in a preselected station.
[ 1930-35; PRE- + SET ]