Meaning of SALINE in English
— salinity /seuh lin"i tee/ , n.
/say"leen, -luyn/ , adj.
1. of, containing, or resembling common table salt; salty or saltlike: a saline solution.
2. of or pertaining to a chemical salt, esp. of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc., as used as a cathartic.
3. of or pertaining to a method of abortion involving injection of hypertonic saline solution into the amniotic cavity during the second trimester.
4. a sterile solution of sodium chloride used to dilute medications or for intravenous therapy.
5. salty water; a salty solution.
[ 1400-50; ME: composed of salt salinus salty, equiv. to sal SAL + -inus -INE 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012