Meaning of STABILITY in English
/steuh bil"i tee/ , n. , pl. stabilities .
1. the state or quality of being stable.
2. firmness in position.
3. continuance without change; permanence.
4. Chem. resistance or the degree of resistance to chemical change or disintegration.
5. resistance to change, esp. sudden change or deterioration: The stability of the economy encourages investment.
6. steadfastness; constancy, as of character or purpose: The job calls for a great deal of emotional stability.
7. Aeron. the ability of an aircraft to return to its original flying position when abruptly displaced.
8. Rom. Cath. Ch. a vow taken by a Benedictine monk, binding him to residence for life in the same monastery in which he made the vow.
[ 1400-50; stabilitas, equiv. to stabili ( s ) STABILE + -tas- -TY; r. late ME stablete ]
Syn. 6. steadiness, strength, soundness, poise, solidity, balance.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012