Meaning of TANDEM in English
/tan"deuhm/ , adv.
1. one following or behind the other: to drive horses tandem.
2. in tandem ,
a. in single file: They swam in tandem.
b. in association or partnership.
3. having animals, seats, parts, etc., arranged tandem or one behind another.
4. a vehicle, as a truck, tractor, or trailer, in which a pair or pairs of axles are arranged in tandem.
5. See tandem bicycle .
6. See tandem trailer (def. 1).
7. a team of horses harnessed one behind the other.
8. a two-wheeled carriage with a high driver's seat, drawn by two or more horses so harnessed.
9. any of various mechanisms having a tandem arrangement.
[ 1735-45; special use (orig. facetious) of L tandem at length, finally, equiv. to tam so far + -dem demonstrative suffix ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012