— transitively , adv. — transitiveness, transitivity , n.
/tran"si tiv, -zi-/ , adj.
1. Gram. having the nature of a transitive verb.
2. characterized by or involving transition; transitional; intermediate.
3. passing over to or affecting something else; transeunt.
4. Math. noting a relation in which one element in relation to a second element and the second in relation to a third element implies the first element is in relation to the third element, as the relation "less than or equal to."
5. Gram. See transitive verb .
[ 1550-60; transitivus, equiv. to L transit ( us ) (see TRANSITION) + -ivus -IVE ]