— waferlike, wafery , adj.
/way"feuhr/ , n.
1. a thin, crisp cake or biscuit, often sweetened and flavored.
2. a thin disk of unleavened bread, used in the Eucharist, as in the Roman Catholic Church.
3. a thin disk of dried paste, gelatin, adhesive paper, or the like, used for sealing letters, attaching papers, etc.
4. Med. a thin sheet of dry paste or the like, used to enclose a powder to be swallowed.
5. any small, thin disk, as a washer or piece of insulation.
6. Electronics. a thin slice of semiconductor used as a base material on which single transistors or integrated-circuit components are formed.
7. to seal, close, or attach by means of a wafer or wafers: to wafer a letter.
[ 1350-1400; ME wafre wafer, var. of wafel WAFFLE 1 ]