Meaning of GENERAL in English
adj the public; the people; the vulgar.
2. general ·adj as a whole; in gross; for the most part.
3. general ·adj usual; common, on most occasions; as, his general habit or method.
4. general ·adj having a relation to all; common to the whole; as, adam, our general sire.
5. general ·adj the roll of the drum which calls the troops together; as, to beat the general.
6. general ·adj the chief of an order of monks, or of all the houses or congregations under the same rule.
7. general ·adj the whole; the total; that which comprehends or relates to all, or the chief part;
opposed to particular.
8. general ·adj relating to a genus or kind; pertaining to a whole class or order; as, a general law of animal or vegetable economy.
9. general ·adj comprehending many species or individuals; not special or particular; including all particulars; as, a general inference or conclusion.
10. general ·adj not restrained or limited to a precise import; not specific; vague; indefinite; lax in signification; as, a loose and general expression.
11. general ·adj common to many, or the greatest number; widely spread; prevalent; extensive, though not universal; as, a general opinion; a general custom.
12. general ·adj one of the chief military officers of a government or country; the commander of an army, of a body of men not less than a brigade. in european armies, the highest military rank next below field marshal.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012