Meaning of RECEIVER in English
re ‧ ceiv ‧ er /rɪˈsiːvə $ -ər/ BrE AmE noun [countable]
[ Word Family: noun : ↑ receipt , receipts, ↑ receiver , ↑ reception , ↑ receivership , ↑ receiving , ↑ receptionist , ↑ receptor ; adjective : ↑ receptive ≠ UNRECEPTIVE , ↑ received ; verb : ↑ receive ]
1 . TELEPHONE the part of a telephone that you hold next to your mouth and ear ⇨ handset
pick up/lift the receiver
She picked up the receiver and dialled his number.
put down/replace the receiver
2 . BUSINESS British English someone who is officially in charge of a business or company that is ↑ bankrupt
an official/administrative receiver
The business is in the hands of the receivers.
3 . STOLEN PROPERTY someone who buys and sells stolen property
4 . RADIO formal a radio or television, or other equipment which receives signals:
a satellite receiver
5 . AMERICAN FOOTBALL a player in American football who is in a position to catch the ball
• • •
▪ phone ( also telephone formal ):
My wife was talking to someone on the phone.
What's your home phone number?
The nearest telephone was in the school secretary's office.
▪ mobile phone British English ( also mobile informal ) a telephone that you can carry with you, that works by using a network of radio stations to pass on signals:
Even children as young as eight have mobile phones.
She always has her mobile switched off.
▪ cell phone American English ( also cell informal ) a mobile phone:
You can reach me on my cell phone.
▪ voice mail a system that records messages so that you can listen to them on your phone:
Let me check my voice mail.
▪ text message ( also text , SMS ) a message from someone that you can read on your mobile phone:
I got a text from Paul.
▪ landline a telephone that uses wires – used when comparing this with a mobile phone:
Calls cost 25p from a landline, more from a mobile phone.
▪ receiver the part of a telephone that you pick up to listen and talk:
She put down the receiver and started crying.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Longman - Словарь современного английского языка. 2012