Meaning of GREEN in English
[green] adj [ME grene, fr. OE grene; akin to OE growan to grow] (bef. 12c) 1: of the color green
2. a: covered by green growth or foliage "~ fields" b of winter: mild, clement c: consisting of green plants and usu. edible herbage "a ~ salad"
3: pleasantly alluring
4: youthful, vigorous
5: not ripened or matured: immature "~ apples" "tender ~ grasses"
6: fresh, new
7. a: marked by a pale, sickly, or nauseated appearance b: envious 1--used esp. in the phrase green with envy
8. a: not fully processed or treated: as (1): not aged "~ liquor" (2): not dressed or tanned "~ hides" (3): freshly sawed: unseasoned b: not in condition for a particular use
9. a: deficient in training, knowledge, or experience b: deficient in sophistication and savoir faire: naive c: not fully qualified for or experienced in a particular function "~ horse"
10. a often cap: relating to or being an environmentalist political movement b: concerned with or supporting environmentalism -- green.ish adj -- green.ish.ness n -- green.ly adv -- green.ness n -- green around the gills : pale or sickly in appearance
green vi (bef. 12c): to become green ~ vt 1: to make green
2: rejuvenate, revitalize green n (13c) 1: a color whose hue is somewhat less yellow than that of growing fresh grass or of the emerald or is that of the part of the spectrum lying between blue and yellow
2: something of a green color
3: green vegetation: as a pl: leafy parts of plants for use as decoration b pl (1): leafy herbs (as spinach, dandelions, Swiss chard) that are cooked as a vegetable: potherbs (2): green vegetables
4: a grassy plain or plot: as a: a common or park in the center of a town or village b: putting green
5: money; esp: greenbacks
6. often cap: environmentalist; esp: a member of an environmentalist political party -- greeny adj
Merriam-Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Merriam Webster. 2012