Meaning of COTTAGE in English
▪ humble , little , simple , small , tiny
▪ charming , cosy/cozy ( esp. AmE ), picturesque , quaint
▪ country , rural ( esp. BrE )
▪ derelict ( BrE )
▪ half-timbered ( esp. BrE ), stone , thatched , wooden
▪ farm ( esp. BrE ), tied ( BrE ) (= owned by a farmer and rented to a farm worker)
They lived in a tied ~ on the estate.
▪ holiday ( BrE ), summer , weekend ( esp. BrE )
They put us up in a guest ~ next to their house.
VERB + COTTAGE
▪ have , own
It was her dream to have a little ~ in the country
▪ live in , stay in
We stayed in a ~ on a farm.
▪ rent , take ( BrE )
We rented a ~ for a week.
They built a small guest ~ on their land.
▪ let ( BrE )
COTTAGE + NOUN
▪ in a/the ~
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012