Meaning of DISCOVERY in English
▪ big , great , important , major , significant
potentially the biggest scientific ~ for fifty years
▪ startling , surprising , unexpected
▪ amazing , remarkable
▪ fascinating , interesting
▪ grim ( esp. BrE ), grisly , gruesome
the grisly ~ of a decapitated body
▪ latest , new , recent
▪ accidental , chance
All these were chance discoveries made by scientists engaged in other investigations.
▪ fortuitous , serendipitous
▪ archaeological , medical , scientific
The story tells of a man's journey of personal ~.
VERB + DISCOVERY
New scientific discoveries are being made all the time.
▪ lead to
Their work led to some important medical discoveries.
There may be many unexpected treasures awaiting ~.
▪ announce , report
▪ ~ by
a ~ by a French scientist
▪ ~ of
the ~ of oil in the North Sea
▪ a process of ~
▪ a journey of ~ , a voyage of ~ ( both figurative )
To tour Sri Lanka is to take a voyage of ~ through a land of endless variety.
▪ share a/your ~ (with sb)
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012