Meaning of ENVELOPE in English
▪ bulky , fat , thick
▪ large , small
▪ return ( AmE ), self-addressed , stamped addressed ( BrE )
Please enclose a self-addressed ~ if you would like a reply.
a self-addressed stamped ~ ( AmE )
▪ postage-paid , prepaid , reply-paid ( BrE )
To apply, use the enclosed reply-paid ~ (no stamp needed).
▪ brown , buff , manila , plain , white
an official-looking manila ~
VERB + ENVELOPE
▪ open , rip open , slit open , steam open , tear open
The letter was suspicious, and I considered steaming open the ~.
▪ address , mark
an ~ addressed in my mother's round handwriting
The ~ was marked ‘Personal’.
▪ mail ( AmE ), post ( BrE ), send
You don't earn much stuffing ~s.
ENVELOPE + VERB
▪ contain sth , enclose sth
▪ in an/the ~
I had put the letter in the wrong ~.
▪ into an/the ~
He quickly stuffed the money back into the ~.
▪ on an/the ~
I couldn't read the address on the ~.
▪ ~ of
He gave her the ~ of certificates.
▪ the back of an ~
I scribbled his phone number on the back of an ~.
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012