Meaning of ENVIRONMENT in English
1 conditions of the place where you are
Cold-blooded animals depend on the temperature of their immediate ~.
▪ alien , new , unfamiliar
marine life in its natural ~
▪ changing , ever-changing ( esp. AmE )
▪ comfortable , protected , safe , secure , stable
▪ friendly , supportive
▪ hospitable , pleasant
▪ clean , healthy
▪ favourable/favorable , ideal
This period provided an ideal ~ for the spread of communism.
▪ uncertain , unstable
▪ extreme , harsh , hostile
Walkers can unwittingly damage the fragile ~ in which the birds live.
▪ built , urban
the quality of our natural and built ~s
▪ cold , warm
▪ aquatic , coastal , forest , marine , mountain
▪ domestic , family , home
Children learn best in their home ~.
▪ cultural , emotional , social
▪ office , work , working , workplace
A comfortable working ~ will increase productivity.
▪ classroom , educational , learning , school , teaching , training
▪ economic , financial
Investors are showing more caution in the current economic ~.
▪ business , commercial , corporate
She now had to transfer her design skills to a commercial ~.
VERB + ENVIRONMENT
▪ create , foster , provide
parents who strive to provide a stimulating ~ for their children to grow up in
▪ adapt to
creatures that have adapted to hostile desert ~s
▪ alter , change
The cat walked around, exploring its new ~.
▪ in an/the ~
people working in increasingly competitive ~s
▪ ~ for
an ~ for economic growth
▪ ~ of
an ~ of fear
▪ an ~ conducive to sth
The hospital architect tries to create an ~ conducive to healing.
▪ today's ~
In today's competitive business ~, companies focus on minimizing costs.
2 the environment the natural world
▪ global , world
VERB + THE ENVIRONMENT
▪ preserve , protect , safeguard , save
The government should do more to protect the ~.
▪ clean up , improve
▪ affect , have an impact on , impact ( AmE )
factors that have a huge impact on the ~
▪ damage , harm , pollute
industries which damage the ~
ENVIRONMENT + NOUN
▪ agency , committee , department , group (all esp. BrE )
▪ chief ( BrE ), minister ( esp. BrE )
▪ spokesman , spokeswoman (both BrE )
▪ correspondent , editor (both BrE )
▪ policy ( esp. BrE )
▪ protection ( esp. BrE )
▪ in the ~
the amount of carbon in the ~
▪ conservation of the ~ , protection of the ~
▪ damage to the ~
farming methods that minimize damage to the ~
▪ harmful to the ~
The label identifies the products that are least harmful to the ~.
▪ pollution of the ~
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012