Meaning of FENCE in English
▪ high , tall
▪ barbed-wire , chain-link , iron , mesh , metal , picket , rail ( esp. AmE ), steel , stone ( AmE ), wire , wood ( AmE ), wooden , wrought-iron
The house was surrounded by a white picket ~.
▪ electric , electrified ( AmE )
▪ back , backyard ( AmE ), garden
▪ border ( esp. AmE ), boundary , perimeter , security
the airport perimeter ~
▪ invisible (= to keep pets in) ( AmE )
▪ left-field , outfield , right-field (all in baseball)
▪ privacy ( AmE )
She walked over to the tall wooden privacy ~.
▪ political ( figurative )
a proposal approved by people on both sides of the political ~
VERB + FENCE
▪ build , erect , put up
▪ climb , climb over , hop ( AmE ), hop over ( esp. AmE ), jump , jump over , scale
▪ mend ( figurative )
The White House already is struggling to mend ~s with Europe.
FENCE + NOUN
▪ line ( esp. AmE )
the ~ line separating the United States from Mexico
▪ over a/the ~
She leaned over the ~.
▪ ~ around , ~ round ( esp. BrE )
a ~ around the site
Fence is used with these nouns as the object: ↑ yard
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012