Meaning of POLLUTION in English
▪ air , atmospheric , environmental , marine , river , water
▪ agricultural , chemical , industrial , toxic
▪ lead , mercury , oil , ozone , smoke , traffic , etc.
▪ light , noise
VERB + POLLUTION
▪ create , emit , generate , produce
They emit 90% less ~ than standard models.
▪ avoid , eliminate , prevent
▪ combat , control , fight , tackle ( esp. BrE )
a convention on combating atmospheric ~
The government has announced plans to tackle light ~.
▪ cut , limit , minimize , reduce
The summit ended with a joint pledge to limit ~.
POLLUTION + NOUN
▪ abatement , control , prevention , reduction
a tightening of water ~ standards
▪ incident ( esp. BrE ), issue , problem
▪ laws , legislation , regulations
▪ offence ( BrE )
The computer model assesses the likely impact of new ~ sources.
▪ credits ( AmE )
a new market in ~ credits
▪ the cost of ~
the cost of air ~ in health and other terms
▪ the effects of ~
Many athletes feel the effects of air ~ during outdoor exercise.
▪ a risk of ~
Environmentalists say there is a high risk of ~ from the landfill site.
▪ a source of ~
Heavy traffic flow is a major source of noise ~ in urban areas.
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012