Meaning of RAILWAY in English
( BrE ) ( AmE railroad ) noun
▪ mainline ( esp. BrE )
▪ disused ( BrE )
▪ narrow-gauge , standard-gauge
▪ miniature ( BrE ), model
He created a model ~ in his basement.
▪ funicular ( esp. BrE )
Tourists can take the funicular ~ to the top of the mountain.
▪ commuter , passenger , tourist
▪ freight ( esp. AmE )
▪ private , regional , state
▪ short-line ( AmE ), transcontinental
▪ electric , steam
VERB + RAILWAY/RAILROAD
▪ manage , operate , run
▪ nationalize , privatize (both BrE )
▪ build , construct
▪ close , open
RAILWAY/RAILROAD + VERB
▪ carry sth
The ~s carry millions of tons of freight every year.
RAILWAY/RAILROAD + NOUN
▪ car ( AmE ), carriage ( BrE ), coach ( esp. BrE ), train , wagon ( BrE )
▪ depot , station , terminus ( esp. BrE ), yard
▪ platform ( esp. BrE )
▪ ticket ( esp. BrE )
▪ timetable ( esp. BrE )
▪ service ( esp. BrE )
▪ journey , travel (both esp. BrE )
the pleasures of ~ travel
▪ passenger , traveller ( BrE )
▪ employee , porter , staff ( BrE ), worker
▪ architect , engineer
▪ authorities ( BrE ), company
▪ network , system
▪ line ( esp. BrE ), track
▪ junction , sidings
▪ bridge , crossing , tunnel , viaduct ( esp. BrE )
▪ enthusiast ( esp. BrE )
He is a lifelong ~ enthusiast.
▪ age ( esp. BrE )
Such speed was unimaginable before the ~ age.
▪ on a/the ~
They are doing maintenance work on the ~.
He works on the ~s.
▪ ~ between
the ~ between Funchal and Monte
▪ ~ from , ~ to
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012