Meaning of SKIRT in English
▪ long , short
She was wearing a short denim ~.
▪ ankle-length , calf-length , knee-length
▪ circular , flared , full , gathered , voluminous
She tucked up her voluminous ~s to make room for Jane.
▪ A-line , mini (usually miniskirt ) , pencil , straight
▪ pleated , wrap-around
▪ cotton , denim , linen , etc.
▪ plaid ( esp. AmE ), tartan
She wore the plaid ~ that was the uniform of her private school.
▪ grass , hula
girls in grass ~s from Hawaii
a green jacket with a matching ~
VERB + SKIRT
▪ hike up ( esp. AmE ), hitch up , lift , pick up , pull up
▪ pull down
▪ smooth , smooth down
She sat down, smoothing her ~.
SKIRT + VERB
▪ billow , swirl
Her full ~ billowed around her as she danced.
▪ ride up
Her ~ rode up her thighs when she sat down.
The ~ falls just above the knee.
SKIRT + NOUN
▪ suit ( AmE )
I've worn both ~ suits and pant suits to interviews.
▪ the hem of sb's ~
I lifted the hem of my ~.
Skirt is used with these nouns as the object: ↑ edge
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012