Meaning of VEIN in English
1 tube carrying blood in the body
A blue ~ throbbed in his forehead.
▪ broken ( esp. BrE ), spider ( esp. AmE ), thread ( esp. BrE ), varicose
She uses make-up to hide the thread ~s in her cheeks.
▪ hepatic , pulmonary , renal , etc. ( all medical )
VERB + VEIN
▪ course through , flow through , pump through , race through , run through , rush through , surge through
He felt the adrenalin coursing through his ~s.
▪ cut , open , sever
The philosopher Seneca opened his ~s in his bath.
▪ inject sth into
VEIN + VERB
▪ pulse , throb
▪ bulge , pop out , stand out
The ~s stood out on her throat and temples.
▪ … blood in sb's ~s
There's a drop of Irish blood in her ~s.
2 particular style/quality
VERB + VEIN
▪ hit , strike
The team have hit a rich ~ of form recently.
▪ mine , tap , tap into
▪ ~ of
The writer tapped into a rich ~ of sentiment in the play.
▪ in a different ~ , in a lighter ~ , in a more serious ~
Fortunately, the rest of the evening continued in a lighter ~.
▪ in a related ~ , in the same ~ , in a similar ~
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012