Meaning of ALTITUDE in English
noun height of degree; highest point or degree.
2. altitude ·noun height of rank or excellence; superiority.
3. altitude ·noun elevation of spirits; heroics; haughty airs.
4. altitude ·noun the perpendicular distance from the base of a figure to the summit, or to the side parallel to the base; as, the altitude of a triangle, pyramid, parallelogram, frustum, ·etc.
5. altitude ·noun space extended upward; height; the perpendicular elevation of an object above its foundation, above the ground, or above a given level, or of one object above another; as, the altitude of a mountain, or of a bird above the top of a tree.
6. altitude ·noun the elevation of a point, or star, or other celestial object, above the horizon, measured by the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between such point and the horizon. it is either true or apparent; true when measured from the rational or real horizon, apparent when from the sensible or apparent horizon.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012