vi to be or act in return.
2. answer ·noun to render account to or for.
3. answer ·noun a reply to a change; a defense.
4. answer ·noun to be or act in return or response to.
5. answer ·vi to be opposite, or to act in opposition.
6. answer ·vi to make a satisfactory response or return.
7. answer ·noun to be opposite to; to face.
8. answer ·noun to atone; to be punished for.
9. answer ·noun a solution, the result of a mathematical operation; as, the answer to a problem.
10. answer ·noun something done in return for, or in consequence of, something else; a responsive action.
11. answer ·vi to be or act as an equivalent, or as adequate or sufficient; as, a very few will answer.
12. answer ·vi to speak or write by way of return (originally, to a charge), or in reply; to make response.
13. answer ·noun something said or written in reply to a question, a call, an argument, an address, or the like; a reply.
14. answer ·noun to be or act an equivalent to, or as adequate or sufficient for; to serve for; to repay.
15. answer ·noun to be or act in accommodation, conformity, relation, or proportion to; to correspond to; to suit.
xvi. answer ·noun to speak in defense against; to reply to in defense; as, to answer a charge; to answer an accusation.
xvii. answer ·noun to respond to satisfactorily; to meet successfully by way of explanation, argument, or justification, and the like; to refute.
xviii. answer ·vi to be or act by way of compliance, fulfillment, reciprocation, or satisfaction; to serve the purpose; as, gypsum answers as a manure on some soils.
xix. answer ·vi to render account, or to be responsible; to be accountable; to make amends; as, the man must answer to his employer for the money intrusted to his care.
xx. answer ·noun to be or act in compliance with, in fulfillment or satisfaction of, as an order, obligation, demand; as, he answered my claim upon him; the servant answered the bell.
xxi. answer ·noun to speak or write in return to, as in return to a call or question, or to a speech, declaration, argument, or the like; to reply to (a question, remark, ·etc.); to respond to.
xxii. answer ·vi to be or act in conformity, or by way of accommodation, correspondence, relation, or proportion; to conform; to correspond; to suit;
usually with to.
xxiii. answer ·noun a counter-statement of facts in a course of pleadings; a confutation of what the other party has alleged; a responsive declaration by a witness in reply to a question. in equity, it is the usual form of defense to the complainant's charges in his bill.