adj of or pertaining to a differential, or to differentials.
2. differential ·noun an increment, usually an indefinitely small one, which is given to a variable quantity.
3. differential ·adj relating to differences of motion or leverage; producing effects by such differences; said of mechanism.
4. differential ·noun a form of conductor used for dividing and distributing the current to a series of electric lamps so as to maintain equal action in all.
5. differential ·adj relating to or indicating a difference; creating a difference; discriminating; special; as, differential characteristics; differential duties; a differential rate.
6. differential ·noun one of two coils of conducting wire so related to one another or to a magnet or armature common to both, that one coil produces polar action contrary to that of the other.
7. differential ·noun a small difference in rates which competing railroad lines, in establishing a common tariff, allow one of their number to make, in order to get a fair share of the business. the lower rate is called a differential rate. differentials are also sometimes granted to cities.