adj ·see 1st bond, ·noun, 8.
2. english ·noun collectively, the people of england; english people or persons.
3. english ·noun a kind of printing type, in size between pica and great primer. ·see type.
4. english ·adj of or pertaining to england, or to its inhabitants, or to the present so-called anglo-saxon race.
5. english ·noun the language of england or of the english nation, and of their descendants in america, india, and other countries.
6. english ·vt to translate into the english language; to anglicize; hence, to interpret; to explain.
7. english ·noun a twist or spinning motion given to a ball in striking it that influences the direction it will take after touching a cushion or another ball.
8. english ·vt to strike (the cue ball) in such a manner as to give it in addition to its forward motion a spinning motion, that influences its direction after impact on another ball or the cushion.