Meaning of GAGE in English
vt to measure. ·see gauge, ·vt.
2. gage ·noun a measure or standard. ·see gauge, ·noun.
3. gage ·noun to bind by pledge, or security; to engage.
4. gage ·noun to give or deposit as a pledge or security for some act; to wage or wager; to pawn or pledge.
5. gage ·noun a glove, cap, or the like, cast on the ground as a challenge to combat, and to be taken up by the accepter of the challenge; a challenge; a defiance.
6. gage ·noun a pledge or pawn; something laid down or given as a security for the performance of some act by the person depositing it, and forfeited by nonperformance; security.
7. gage ·noun a variety of plum; as, the greengage; also, the blue gage, frost gage, golden gage, ·etc., having more or less likeness to the greengage. ·see greengage.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012