Meaning of MAIN in English
adj vast; huge.
2. main ·noun a main-hamper.
3. main ·adj important; necessary.
4. main ·noun a hand or match at dice.
5. main ·noun a match at cockfighting.
6. main ·adj very or extremely strong.
7. main ·noun a stake played for at dice.
8. main ·adj very; extremely; as, main heavy.
9. main ·adj unqualified; absolute; entire; sheer.
10. main ·v strength; force; might; violent effort.
11. main ·adj principal; chief; first in size, rank, importance, ·etc.
12. main ·v the continent, as distinguished from an island; the mainland.
13. main ·v the chief or principal part; the main or most important thing.
14. main ·v the great sea, as distinguished from an arm, bay, ·etc. ; the high sea; the ocean.
15. main ·noun the largest throw in a match at dice; a throw at dice within given limits, as in the game of hazard.
xvi. main ·v principal duct or pipe, as distinguished from lesser ones; ·esp. (engin.), a principal pipe leading to or from a reservoir; as, a fire main.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012