noun the womb.
2. matrix ·noun hence, that which gives form or origin to anything.
3. matrix ·noun the five simple colors, black, white, blue, red, and yellow, of which all the rest are composed.
4. matrix ·noun the earthy or stony substance in which metallic ores or crystallized minerals are found; the gangue.
5. matrix ·noun a rectangular arrangement of symbols in rows and columns. the symbols may express quantities or operations.
6. matrix ·noun the cavity in which anything is formed, and which gives it shape; a die; a mold, as for the face of a type.
7. matrix ·noun the lifeless portion of tissue, either animal or vegetable, situated between the cells; the intercellular substance.