Meaning of REACTION in English
add. ·noun a regular or characteristic response to a stimulation of the nerves.
2. reaction ·noun backward tendency or movement after revolution, reform, or great progress in any direction.
3. reaction ·noun any action in resisting other action or force; counter tendency; movement in a contrary direction; reverse action.
4. reaction ·noun the force which a body subjected to the action of a force from another body exerts upon the latter body in the opposite direction.
5. reaction ·noun an action induced by vital resistance to some other action; depression or exhaustion of vital force consequent on overexertion or overstimulation; heightened activity and overaction succeeding depression or shock.
6. reaction ·noun the mutual or reciprocal action of chemical agents upon each other, or the action upon such chemical agents of some form of energy, as heat, light, or electricity, resulting in a chemical change in one or more of these agents, with the production of new compounds or the manifestation of distinctive characters. ·see blowpipe reaction, flame reaction, under blowpipe, and flame.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012