Meaning of RETORT in English
noun to bend or curve back; as, a retorted line.
2. retort ·vi to return an argument or a charge; to make a severe reply.
3. retort ·noun to throw back; to reverberate; to reflect.
4. retort ·noun to return, as an argument, accusation, censure, or incivility; as, to retort the charge of vanity.
5. retort ·vt the return of, or reply to, an argument, charge, censure, incivility, taunt, or witticism; a quick and witty or severe response.
6. retort ·vt a vessel in which substances are subjected to distillation or decomposition by heat. it is made of different forms and materials for different uses, as a bulb of glass with a curved beak to enter a receiver for general chemical operations, or a cylinder or semicylinder of cast iron for the manufacture of gas in gas works.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012