Meaning of STAIN in English
noun a tincture; a tinge.
2. stain ·noun cause of reproach; shame.
3. stain ·vi to give or receive a stain; to grow dim.
4. stain ·noun taint of guilt; tarnish; disgrace; reproach.
5. stain ·noun a natural spot of a color different from the gound.
6. stain ·vt to cause to seem inferior or soiled by comparison.
7. stain ·noun a discoloration by foreign matter; a spot; as, a stain on a garment or cloth.
8. stain ·vt to spot with guilt or infamy; to bring reproach on; to blot; to soil; to tarnish.
9. stain ·vt to discolor by the application of foreign matter; to make foul; to spot; as, to stain the hand with dye; armor stained with blood.
10. stain ·vt to color, as wood, glass, paper, cloth, or the like, by processess affecting, chemically or otherwise, the material itself; to tinge with a color or colors combining with, or penetrating, the substance; to dye; as, to stain wood with acids, colored washes, paint rubbed in, ·etc.; to stain glass.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012