Meaning of STEEL in English
noun a chalybeate medicine.
2. steel ·noun a weapon, as a sword, dagger, ·etc.
3. steel ·noun an instrument or implement made of steel.
4. steel ·noun a piece of steel for striking sparks from flint.
5. steel ·noun to make hard or strong; hence, to make insensible or obdurate.
6. steel ·noun an instrument of steel (usually a round rod) for sharpening knives.
7. steel ·noun fig.: to cause to resemble steel, as in smoothness, polish, or other qualities.
8. steel ·noun fig.: anything of extreme hardness; that which is characterized by sternness or rigor.
9. steel ·noun to overlay, point, or edge with steel; as, to steel a razor; to steel an ax.
10. steel ·noun to cover, as an electrotype plate, with a thin layer of iron by electrolysis. the iron thus deposited is very hard, like steel.
11. steel ·noun a variety of iron intermediate in composition and properties between wrought iron and cast iron (containing between one half of one per cent and one and a half per cent of carbon), and consisting of an alloy of iron with an iron carbide. steel, unlike wrought iron, can be tempered, and retains magnetism. its malleability decreases, and fusibility increases, with an increase in carbon.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012