Meaning of SUBSTITUTION in English
noun the state of being substituted for another.
2. substitution ·noun the office or authority of one acting for another; delegated authority.
3. substitution ·noun the doctrine that christ suffered vicariously, being substituted for the sinner, and that his sufferings were expiatory.
4. substitution ·noun the designation of a person in a will to take a devise or legacy, either on failure of a former devisee or legatee by incapacity or unwillingness to accept, or after him.
5. substitution ·noun the act or process of substituting an atom or radical for another atom or radical; metethesis; also, the state of being so substituted. ·see metathesis.
6. substitution ·noun the act of substituting or putting one person or thing in the place of another; as, the substitution of an agent, attorney, or representative to act for one in his absense; the substitution of bank notes for gold and silver as a circulating medium.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012