Meaning of SYMBOL in English
noun share; allotment.
2. symbol ·vt to symbolize.
3. symbol ·noun that which is thrown into a common fund; hence, an appointed or accustomed duty.
4. symbol ·noun an abstract or compendium of faith or doctrine; a creed, or a summary of the articles of religion.
5. symbol ·noun any character used to represent a quantity, an operation, a relation, or an abbreviation.
6. symbol ·noun a visible sign or representation of an idea; anything which suggests an idea or quality, or another thing, as by resemblance or by convention; an emblem; a representation; a type; a figure; as, the lion is the symbol of courage; the lamb is the symbol of meekness or patience.
7. symbol ·noun an abbreviation standing for the name of an element and consisting of the initial letter of the latin or new latin name, or sometimes of the initial letter with a following one; as, c for carbon, na for sodium (natrium), fe for iron (ferrum), sn for tin (stannum), sb for antimony (stibium), ·etc. ·see the list of names and symbols under element.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012