Meaning of UNDERLAY in English
noun to put a tap on (a shoe).
2. underlay ·vt to lay beneath; to put under.
3. underlay ·noun the inclination of a vein, fault, or lode from the vertical; a hade;
called also underlie.
4. underlay ·vi to incline from the vertical; to hade;
said of a vein, fault, or lode.
5. underlay ·vt to raise or support by something laid under; as, to underlay a cut, plate, or the like, for printing. ·see underlay, ·noun, 2.
6. underlay ·noun a thickness of paper, pasteboard, or the like, placed under a cut, or stereotype plate, or under type, in the from, to bring it, or any part of it, to the proper height; also, something placed back of a part of the tympan, so as to secure the right impression.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012