Meaning of ADJUVANT in English
/aj"euh veuhnt/ , adj.
1. serving to help or assist; auxiliary.
2. Med. utilizing drugs, radiation therapy, or other means of supplemental treatment following cancer surgery.
3. a person or thing that aids or helps.
4. anything that aids in removing or preventing a disease, esp. a substance added to a prescription to aid the effect of the main ingredient.
5. Immunol. a substance admixed with an immunogen in order to elicit a more marked immune response.
[ 1600-10; adjuvant- (s. of adjuvans, prp. of adjuvare ), equiv. to ad- AD- + juv- (s. of juvare to help) + -ant- -ANT ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012