Meaning of ANCHORAGE in English
/ang"keuhr ij/ , n.
1. that portion of a harbor or area outside a harbor suitable for anchoring or in which ships are permitted to anchor.
2. a charge for occupying such an area.
3. the act of anchoring or the state of being anchored.
4. that to which anything is fastened.
5. a means of anchoring or making fast.
6. something that can be relied on: The Bible is her anchorage.
7. (in a suspension bridge) a massive masonry or concrete construction securing a cable at each end.
a. an abutment.
b. the locking in of a tooth filling by means of an undercut.
[ 1400-50; late ME ankerage. See ANCHOR, -AGE ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012