Meaning of COCKPIT in English
/kok"pit'/ , n.
1. a space, usually enclosed, in the forward fuselage of an airplane containing the flying controls, instrument panel, and seats for the pilot and copilot or flight crew.
2. a sunken, open area, generally in the after part of a small vessel, as a yacht, providing space for the pilot, part or all of the crew, or guests.
3. the space, including the seat and instrumentation, surrounding the driver of an automobile.
4. a pit or enclosed place for cockfights.
5. a place where a contest is fought or which has been the scene of many contests or battles.
6. (formerly) a space below the water line in a warship, occupied by the quarters of the junior officers and used as a dressing station for those wounded in action.
[ 1580-90; COCK 1 + PIT 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012